Dec 10, 2009

A Sample of Nielsen

It is likely that I will soon begin a new job. The Nielsen Company has denied my request to work part-time while staying in Idaho. My feelings are not hurt. Nielsen, after all, provides a product and service that I do not entirely support. I was frequently asked to supply, format, and analyze media-related data. Often times the data was corrupt. Many times I was asked to compare dissimilar data in order to create a "better picture" for clients. Nielsen TV ratings are gleaned from 20,000 devices which are installed in 20,000 of the 114 million plus American homes. Sample science, it is called. Sample science, to me, means showing up early to Costco or Sam's Club Saturday mornings.

My current life circumstance provokes reflection. I am a single, unemployed college graduate. Society, especially Mormondom, will have a person believe that this is extremely undesirable. I disagree. I am desirable. I am a Costco sample. Eat me.

No comments:

Post a Comment