May 27, 2010

In the Background

For the last five months I have searched for employment almost every day. On a Monday in May, I received three job offers within four hours, two came within five minutes of each other. It was difficult to make a final decision, but I did ... or so I thought.

About two months ago, I applied to a research job with CBS in San Francisco. I interviewed and never heard back. A few weeks passed and I emailed CBS to follow-up. "While we were impressed with your skills, we've chosen another candidate whose qualifications more closely match our needs at this time," was CBS's response. I was upset and discouraged, and so I gave a simple reply, "Your loss."

Two more weeks passed, during which I received the three job offers and accepted one. Then CBS emailed me, "We would like to continue our search because our final candidate decided to take another position within our organization. Are you still interested in the position?"

Strange, I thought. I have since been interviewing with CBS while preparing to move to Phoenix for the job I have already accepted. CBS now wants me to travel to SF for an in-person interview.

More, this morning I received a phone call from a number with a 212 area code, New York, my old stomping ground. I was hesitant to answer, but I did. According to the man on the phone, my soon-to-be employer in Phoenix and its background-check service is unable to verify my past employment, Primetime Golf. Of course.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment